Ten Reasons Why You Should Hire a Lawyer
January 13, 2017 | Claim Advice, Personal Injury
If you have suffered an injury due to the negligent actions of another, you may be eligible for personal injury compensation. Personal injuries refer to a physical or psychological injury, sustained as the result of the wrongful actions of another. As personal injury law is very broad, there are many different classes of injuries and compensation schemes, which can make it difficult when trying to make a claim for compensation on your own. Compensation lawyers are experienced professionals who are experts at dealing with the compensation claims process. If you have recently suffered a personal injury, read on to find out more about the ten reasons why you should hire a lawyer to handle your case.
1. A lawyer can determine which compensation claim is available to youHire a lawyer to determine which personal injury claim you are eligible to make, and which claim offers you the greatest chance of success. Common claims can include motor vehicle accident claims, workers compensation claims, financial planning negligence claims, medical negligence claims or slips and falls claims.
2. Lawyers have specialist knowledgeHire a compensation lawyer with specialised knowledge. This is important as they will be up to date with the ever-changing laws and requirements of the compensation claims process. Personal injury law is often subject to changes, as illustrated by recent changes to the Compulsory Third Party insurance scheme and Workers Compensation scheme.
3. A lawyer can navigate you through the claims processHire a lawyer to help you to identify and collect all the relevant evidence and information needed for a successful claim. For example, for a motor vehicle accident claim, this can include the registration numbers of the car involved, the other driver’s insurance details, witness statements, medical records and surveillance footage.
4. A lawyer remains objectiveThe claims process can be emotional and overwhelming for the victim, especially while recovering from their injuries. While the victim often has clouded judgement as they are too emotionally invested in the case, if you hire a lawyer they can offer an objective and realistic legal perspective on different aspects of the case.
5. A lawyer has experience in dealing with insurance companiesThe majority of personal injury claims are settled before going to court and lawyers play a vital role in negotiating a settlement amount for their clients with the opposing insurance companies. Many lawyers have experience in dealing with major insurance companies and may have developed a working relationship with these contacts, which can help ease settlement negotiations.
6. A lawyer is aware of time limitsLawyers are aware of the strict time limits for making claims, and therefore can assist you to make a claim as soon as possible to secure your best chance at receiving compensation for your injuries. If your compensation claim is not lodged within the relevant time period, your lawyer may be able to apply on your behalf to the courts for a time extension.
7. A lawyer can maximise the compensation you receiveHire a lawyer to help identify all the relevant expenses that you can claim compensation for, helping you to secure the maximum compensation amount possible. Personal injury compensation can only be claimed for certain expenses, such as:
- Medical, rehabilitation and hospital expenses, and any potential future expenses
- Loss of earnings, including superannuation, and future loss of earning capacity
- Compensation for pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life, if the victim has suffered a whole person impairment over the 10% threshold
- Home modification and attendant care expenses